1.14.2009

tn: McManis Cabernet Sauvignon

Calvin, my salesman for Arbor Beverage Company, was wondering why sales of McManis have slowed since I took over at Western Market. There are a few reasons, the most obvious being that I have never had any of the McManis wines. Maybe it's my responsibility to try them, given that they are one of our better selling brands, but I can't bring myself to buy California Cab Sauv when there are so many other things I'd enjoy more. He took it upon himself to get me a bottle.


The wine pours a deep red color, not over-extracted, and rather translucent. It has a powerful yet enjoyable aroma of berries. The taste is rather fruity, but with enough structure to make it better than most of it's ten-dollar-a-bottle-california-kin. It is certainly inoffensive, unless your some natural wine geek *cough*, but isn't actually annoying or undrinkable in any sort of way. I hear that it is made in rather large stainless steel fermentation tanks, which are lined halfway with large oak planks, which the country of origin is unknown, and rather unimportant, to me at least. As fruity as it is, this wine will drink better with some American Colby or Cheddar, and would be best with a big, medium rare burger with cheese and the works. This wine should be quite appealing to most anybody looking for a safe California Cabernet, especially at ten dollars.

If you want to play it safe, take this to a dinner party or barbecue, as long as yer not hanging out with snobs or geeks. If you want to have fun, take Chateau d'Oupia, which is only a dollar more. This brings me to the biggest reason the McManis brand has slowed down: I've worked really hard at making Western Market a place where it is safe(r) to be adventurous. I would buy 2007 McManis Cabernet if I was at some creepy backwoods party store with only Beringer or box wine, but given the wealth of interesting, engaging wines at a similar price point, why not try something new? If i'm not in the store, shelf talkers and placement can guide you towards a wine that will satisfy and delight, as long as you drink with an open mind.

No comments: